Stationary or "Walking" Lunges
Stationary Lunges or "Walking" Lunges
Stationary - Step to a forward lunge position, lunge down and up without switching feet or stepping back to even with your feet. Keep your feet stationary.
"Walking" Lunges - Step forward to a lunge position, lunge down and up and after coming up bring your back foot forward. Lunge forward with the other foot. Continue to step forward.
Lunges are much more basic. Refer to Difficulty and Equipment.
Difficulty and Equipment
This is not an absolute scale, but in terms of progressing in ability for both stationary and walking here's how you should be progressing:
- Unweighted, potentially holding onto something for balance. (Novice)
- Holding 1 single dumbbell/kettlebell in the goblet position (Novice/Intermediate)
- Holding 1 single dumbbell/kettlebell in the suitcase position (at your side with straight arms) (Novice/Intermediate/Well Practiced)
- Holding 2 single dumbbells/kettlebells in the suitcase position (Intermediate/Well Practiced)
- Barbell in the back rack or front rack positions (Well Practiced)
- Barbell in the overhead position (Well Practiced)